Pages

Friday 11 August 2017

Feathered Friends and Curious Critters and Other Stories

I always enjoy seeing what other creatures get caught on camera besides the hedgehogs.
The birds have become very cheeky about pinching mealworms over the spring and summer but then they have lots of mouths to feed.

There's been starlings with their kids, Mrs Blackbird getting a take away and a very tame and friendly sparrow who was a frequent visitor for a week or so.

Feathered Friends

I got some live mealworms to treat the hedgehogs, but apparently they weren't to the hogs tastes, this one steps right in them and shows no interest.

Mealworm Medly

The Robin was an early bird the next morning to make the most of the free snacks and then the starlings also had a feast!

There haven't been many wood mice around this year that I've seen. A new cat in the neighbourhood has been on a killing spree of all the wildlife tho so that's probably why.

I did get this glimpse of a busy mouse tho and not just any mouse, it's Lofty!
I caught Lofty in my loft, and marked her by trimming a small patch of fur on her flank, not and easy task! I released her into the compost heap as a test to see if she returned to the loft, or if I had blocked up the holes sufficiently.
It looks like she has remained as a garden mouse for now at least.

Lofty

And finally, have you ever seen a dancing slug?
Slugs sway when they feel threatened, and this slug just had a close encounter with Big Bob, so no wonder he's set a swaying. You have to watch closely to see.

Swaying Slug

I don't know if all slugs sway, but the big brown ones do. I also don't see how this would help protect them. If anyone knows more about swaying slugs and why they do it, I'd be interested to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment